Saturday, November 1, 2008

Troup Mobilization - Month 1 - Some Revelations/Observations

Friends,
Well, I've been in this job now full time for the past week, up and running. I just wanted to share a few thoughts/observations and promise not to drone on like the last entry. Basically, I turned over with the incumbant, LCDR Mike Smithers, who was in the role for the past 18 months. We had about 2 weeks to get me up to speed and I learned a lot and saw a side of the warrior training that I've not thought much about which I'll explain in a minute. Side note - Mike is the only 'rock star' I've actually known - he's the lead singer of an alternative rock band from the 90's called "30 Amp Fuse" and you can even download some songs from iTunes. A bit like Green Day - I saw him jam in his basement before he left - awesome. I wish him the best in his new role in Norfolk. Thanks for all the help Mike.

Back to getting up to speed - I just want to run through the moste enlightening day so far. It was on a Saturday a couple of weeks ago. We had a new class coming in for their 60 days of "NArmy" training (Navy+Army=NArmy), so Mike and I spent most of the afternoon at Manhatten Airport "hearding cats" as the sailors came off of 2 planes at different times of the day from Norfolk and San Diego - lots of driving back and forth from Fort Riley to the airport (only about 6 miles). Meanwhile, the rest of my staff (only 2 others, but they have been doing this job for over a year and are very skilled at it) were busy all day gathering linens, setting up the inbound teams rooms, getting their key cards, maps, welcome aboard letters, etc. to get them settled quickly when they arrived. Once arrived, we gathered their orders, briefed them on where the dining facility, PX, shopette, gym, etc were, they left them on their own until Monday morning when they start training. That took all day Saturday until about 2000 (8pm for you non-military types).

The day continued - we had a large class (~173) leaving that same night (called "Manifest") to fly into theater (Afganistan). It was interesting to observe - you could tell there was a sense of tension and uneasiness to some degree, but they were well trained and ready to go. The process to get them into the building, count them, weigh them and their gear, then get them into busses to get to Topeka, KS for a flight into theater took about 4 hours. I shook each of their hands and wished them luck as they left - although they don't need luck - they are well trained and competant sailors (enlisted and officer alike). Long day covering both ends of the spectrum.

I usually get emails from buddies in theater telling me that side of the equation - the output side. I'm working the 'input" side, along with the Army to get our Sailors onboard, trained up, and moved out into theater. We get a new class about every 2 weeks, so we are constantly busy with long hours. Today I have to pick up 4 for a small class at the airport at 2050, get them to their rooms and get them briefed as I mentioned before. Groundhog day, to some extent, but always new situations arise - more on that next time.

Finally, for this entry I wanted to mention my first exposure to the true nature and realization of these 2 simultaneous wars - sailors and soliders and airmen and marines, die. A sailor was KIA on August 8th, well before I got here, but I got a call this week from the Army letting me know they needed an address for this sailor's next of kin for his belongings, dog tags, etc. All they had was a PO box which they could not use. I investigated and found the information they needed. It really hit home that this is a "shootin' war" and people are indeed paying the ultimate sacrifice for their country, and for sailors and soldiers like the one I mentionied above, many thanks. I salute you. Hooah!

2 comments:

Pritikin said...

Hi Tony,
With election day tomorrow your comments really hit home! Keep up the great work!
We miss you!
Kim Pritikin (Seymoure & Aaron too!)

Unknown said...

Tony,

Thanks for sharing and thanks for your service. Supporting GWOT comes in many ways and every job is important. Just put yourself in every boot that comes through Kansas, where they came from, where they are going. You'll do fine and they will appreciate the help along the way.

Take care,

John